.

.
.

Dienstag, 31. Mai 2016

Little Treasures


Dear blogging friends,

again I found some amazing little things. Here they are!


Three victorian dolls with moveable arms and legs,
 and 17 antique frozen charlottes. 


 For the background I've used a cover of an old photo album.

These dolls are made around 1860 in Limbach Germany.
The size: 2-1/4 up to 2-15/16 inch tall.

The name comes from an American folk ballad 'Fair Charlotte'  which tells the story of a young lady named Charlotte. She refused to wrap up warmly to go on a sleigh ride in fear, that it would cover up her pretty dress. The story tells how she froze to death during the journey.

Frozen Charlotte dolls were primarily manufactured between 1850 to 1920 in Thuringia Germany. If a doll was broken or not quite perfect it was discarded and buried in the ground around the doll factory. I just love these lil imperfect dolls and hope to give them a new life. 

Wishing you all a nice day and as always thank you so much for stopping by and for taking the time to leave a comment.

Gaby xo

18 Kommentare:

Valerie-Jael hat gesagt…

Wow, what a FAN*TAS*TIC find! Hugs, Valerie

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com hat gesagt…

That is a pretty grim story for Charlotte! Love that photo album cover -- very pretty. What will you do with the dolls?

Sharmon Davidson hat gesagt…

Wow, where do you find all this great stuff? I had never heard the story (or song) about Charlotte; thanks for sharing this interesting info. I'm going to see if I can find it on Youtube!

Sue @ Miss Phoebes Perch hat gesagt…

HI Gaby. What great finds! And thanks for the story about Charlotte. I have some in my own collection of "stuff" but never knew why they were called what they are. Live and learn! Hugs, Sue

maj. hat gesagt…

They are great! I'm curious what you doing?

Anonym hat gesagt…

A wonderful discovery. I have never been able to source them in the U.K. so this is a special discovery you made. Gaby, they look wonderful laid against the book cover.
Wishes
Lynne

Penny hat gesagt…

I have heard about frozen Charlotte's but never seen one here.

Claudia hat gesagt…

Liebe Gaby,
das sind wunderbare Funde, diese zarten Porzelanpüppchen ... ich bin gespannt, was Du daraus machen wirst :O)
Ich wünsche Dir einen wunderschönen und fröhlichen Tag!
♥ Allerliebste Grüße , Claudia ♥

Gabi MeWi hat gesagt…

Das sind ja prachtvolle Fundstücke...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth hat gesagt…

Oh Gaby, I have always wanted one of those frozen Charlottes, and here you have bunches of them laid out on a photo album cover. This is an incredible discovery, and the Victorian dolls are rather impressive, too.

Margik hat gesagt…

Hi Gaby! Those dolls are a particularly interesting find. You're always surprising me with these so original things. A great story about Charlotte, I had never heard it.
Hugs, Mar

Words and Pictures hat gesagt…

Wonderful discoveries, Gaby - can't wait to see some of those Frozen Charlottes in action. I always find them so haunting and melancholy. And the limbed dolls are wonderful.
Alison x

Anonym hat gesagt…

Thanks for sharing the story, always wondered where the name came fron. Quite the haul you got. xox

Beulah Bee hat gesagt…

I knew the story of the Charlottes but didn't know that the imperfect ones were tossed. An excellent find to be sure and I admire how you photographed them! That photo album cover is most excellent as well.

margits bastelstube hat gesagt…

hallo gany,
diese püppchen sind der hammer. wo du sowas immer findest. echt klasse!
lg
margit

Julia @ Vintage with Laces hat gesagt…

Great finds, Gaby! Have fun playing! I know you'll come up with some fabulous creations.
xo Julia

Caterina Giglio hat gesagt…

I have never heard that story, wow, how amazing is that?? very cool! xoxo

Terri hat gesagt…

Ooooh, lovely finds! I didn't know all this about the frozen charlottes. Thanks for sharing that story. It must have helped little girls to want to put on their coats. lol.
Hugs,
Terri